Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mixed Fermentation Tasting

2/18

About a month ago I brewed a wheat beers using two yeast strains. The recipe was simple, 50% wheat and 50% barley and lightly hoped. I wanted to see what would happen if I added both an American Wheat strain and a Saison strain. The results was a little lack luster. I was hoping for some fruit and spice aromas from the Saison yeast but all it did was give the beer a dry finish. If I was to do this over again I would use a more expressive wheat yeast and stick with the Saison to give it the dry finish. That being said the beer did turn out rather well and is very refreshing and sessionable.


Tasting Notes:

Appearance: Nice straw color that pours with a nice cloudy haze. The nice fluffy head soon turned into a lacing around the top of the glass.

Aroma: Yeasty aroma with notes of pineapple.

Taste: A nice wheat taste with some spices at the finish, rather dry and leaves the palate nice and clean for the next sip.

Overall: A highly drinkable beer with a great taste. I would like to find away to give it some banana notes and would probably choose a different yeast combination for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment