This recipe was designed for one of my "Brewing 101" pages.
Size: 5 gallons
What you need:
6.5 Pounds Liquid Malt Extract
0.5 pounds crushed caramel 60 malt
1 oz Magnum Hops (14% AA)
0.75 oz Perle Hops (8% AA)
1 oz Cascade (5.5% AA)
1 Packet Safale US-05
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 150 F and add the steeping grains inside of a muslin bag for 30 minutes.
- Bring the water to a boil and add all of the Liquid Malt Extract, make sure you stir to prevent it from cooking to the bottom (adding it slowly would be wise).
- Set the timer for 60 minutes and add the 1 oz of Magnum Hops
- At 30 minutes remaining add 0.75 oz of Perle Hops
- At 10 minutes remaining add 0.5 oz of Cascade
- At 0 minutes turn off the flame and cool the beer to 80 F, this can be done by placing the pot in a sink/ bath tub of cold water or by adding cold, sterile, water to bring the volume to 5 gallons.
- Bring the volume to 5 gallons.
- Add the yeast and allow fermentation to occur, after 10 days siphon the beer into your secondary container and add the remaining 0.5 oz of Cascade hops.
- Allow the beer to dry hop in the secondary 1 week before bottling.