Sunday, September 23, 2012

Flanders Ale Tasting

9/23/2012

I have been tasting my Flanders Red I brewed over 9 months ago on a 2 month basis. About 3 weeks ago I decided that I liked where it was and moved forward with bottling it. I added a bit more sugar than I would normally because the beer had set so long and was most likely completely flat. I also added 1/3 of a packet of dry yeast to ensure there would be something to carbonate the beer.





I tasted it for the first time and here are the results:

Appearance: Brilliant red brown, very clear. There is not much head but a lace forms around the glass. Small bubbles rise to the top of the glass.

Aroma: The aroma is sour with a huge amount of fruit aroma, somewhat cherry like.

Taste: Wonderful, a smooth lactic sourness with some hints of caramel. The beer is very clean of any off brett smells but is still complex in its finish.

Mouthfeel: The acid coats the mouth and makes it feel very smooth and silky.

Overall: This turned out great, the sourness is perfect and clean. I would like the carbonation to be higher but I think that it should develop as I let it sit in the bottle a bit longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment