Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pumpkin Ale

Roasted Pumpkin
For Thanksgiving this year I have decided to brew a Pumpkin Ale. I come from a large family that always has a large get together with all the fixings. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, side dishes, and at least 3 types of pies, all accompanied by wine. Unfortunately for me and a few others beer is not on the menu. I decided that the best way to bring a change to that is to come with my own beer. In keeping with the holiday spirit I made this festive themed beer.

4 Gallon Recipe



I started off by taking 2 pounds of organic canned pumpkin and spreading it out on a baking sheet, I then placed it in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

Grain Bill:

11 pounds of Rahr 2-row malt
1 pound caramel 20 L malt

Mashed in at 155 F for 1 hour and added the pumpkin to the mash inside of a small grain bag.

Boiled 60 minutes

Hops:
60 minutes 1 oz of 6.4 % Fuggle
5 minutes 1 oz of 4 % Hallertau

Spices 1 tsp of Pupmkin Pie Spice

OG: 1.070



Pitched 1056 grown in a 2 litter starter






FG: 1.010

At bottling added ...
1/8 tsp Cinnimon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 oz vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment